The upcoming Aboriginal Tourism Association of Canada Annual General Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, November 9th, 2017 at the Grey Eagle Resort & Casino in Calgary, Alberta.
Public Notice to Members – Call for Board Nominations
The Aboriginal Tourism Association of Canada (ATAC) issues this Call for Nominations to member organizations wishing to represent their province or territory on ATAC’s Board of Directors. This notice is to provide information on how to nominate a Director (board member) for election at the upcoming ATAC Annual General Meeting (AGM) being held November 9, 2017, at the Grey Eagle Resort & Casino in Calgary, Alberta.
Nominations, Term & Voting (ATAC Bylaws 13.1)
The ATAC Board is composed of thirteen (13) Directors; one from each of the ten (10) provinces and one from each of the three (3) territories, each serving two (2) year terms. At the election on November 5, 2017, approximately half of the Directors on ATAC’s Board will be elected to a new two (2) year term.
Directors at the 2017 AGM who are eligible for nomination represent the following provinces and territories*:
- British Columbia
- Prince Edward Island
- Northwest Territories
Please note that directors will be elected by eligible voting members only within their respective territory or province (ATAC Bylaws 13.6).
*NOTE: There will be seven (7) Director positions up for election next year at the 2018 AGM. Those Director positions represent Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Nunavut. (ATAC Bylaws 13.7)
Eligibility (ATAC Bylaws 13.2)
- Persons can be nominated as Directors only if they are Voting Members of the Corporation In Good Standing.
- Retiring Directors are eligible to be re-elected for a further term only until they have served three terms consecutively, after which they are not eligible for re-election.
- Directors who have served three consecutive terms will become eligible to serve on the Board of Directors again two years after the date of their last term’s expiry.
Required Credentials (ATAC Bylaws 13.3)
All candidates for the Board shall possess the following credentials:
- A commitment to the mission of the Corporation;
- Knowledge and skills in areas of Board Governance, Policy, Finance, Programs, Human Resources and Public Relations;
- A commitment to attend Board Meetings, Committee Meetings and Annual General Meetings;
- A commitment to attend Board Orientation, Strategic Planning and other workshops/training programs necessary for Board development as determined by the Board;
- A willingness to serve on one or more committees; and,
- The capability and willingness to hold a portfolio.
Board of Directors Application
Persons nominating a Director for election must complete and submit a Board of Directors Application to the ATAC Nominating Committee containing the following:
- Two (2) letters of support from two different organizations:
- One (1) letter of support from the organization that the candidate/nominee is applying on behalf of
- One (1) letter of support from an organization that is familiar with the candidate’s/nominee’s credentials and experience in tourism
- Confirmation that the candidate/nominee meets the above noted eligibility criteria
The deadline for nominating a Director to serve on the ATAC Board is Thursday, October 5th, 2017, at 9:00AM PST. Accordingly, the Board of Directors Application and supporting documentation must be received prior to this deadline date.
Please submit, via email, the required nomination information to:
ATAC Nominating Committee
c/o ATAC Board Secretary Jeff Provost
Nomination packages MUST be received by 9:00 AM PST Thursday, October 5th, 2017 to be eligible for consideration.